Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bloom

This past weekend was the 85th annual Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival. Although I’m a Winchester native, I’m not a huge fan of this event (gasp, the horror!). However, I did enjoy a few of the events with some close friends of mine.

Friday afternoon Chris met me at work and we headed over to Liz’s apartment for the Fireman’s Parade.    The Fireman’s parade is approximately 2 hours of firetrucks, bands and random cars.

Parade
 We may have watched the parade for roughly five minutes and spent the rest of the time catching up with friends including two of our good friends, the Beatley’s. I don’t get to see Jen as much as I used to since she got tired of doing Ironmans, so it was great to spend some quality time with her J
Hangin' with Jen
After the parade, Chris and I met back up with the Beatley’s who had party hopped and we headed to another friend’s house before going to the firework display.  This is the first time I had gone to the fireworks and I was pretty impressed with the display. I was pleasantly surprised to be in bed around 11 this year as opposed to 1 am last year. I would be at least somewhat rested for the Apple Blossom 10K.

The Apple Blossom 10K is a lot of fun since I grew up in Winchester and know so many people doing or watching the race. Since Chris and I met at the Apple Blossom 10K last year (yes, you can gag), we obviously had to do it.  Pre-race we had about an hour at the race site so we both saw and caught up with a lot of friends.  Some highlights of the race:
1)      I had friends all over the course cheering. It definitely helped keep my mind off the fact that I was super uncomfortable with my heart rate at 187 for 30 minutes of the race.
2)      My new Powerbar Team Elite shirt was super comfy.
3)      I ran 6.2 miles under a 7 minute mile pace.  When I started with CTS in the fall of 2009, my 8 minute field test was exactly the pace I ran on Saturday.  Thanks Lindsay!
4)      Chris ran with me for the first three miles even though he wasn’t feeling well.  Lucky girl.
A little over 3 miles in

5)      I finally got an Apple Blossom 10K Jefferson cup after many years of trying (placed third in my AG).  Next goal is sub 40. 


I opted to skip the Grand Feature parade this year and do something I rarely do, rest. I even took a nap Saturday afternoon.  It was definitely needed after three straight weeks of hard workouts and one last hard bike workout Sunday before taper.  Sunday I set out on my bike with the intention of riding for 3 hours with 2 x 20 minutes at tempo power. Unfortunately within 20 minutes, I realized my head and legs weren’t into that, so I decided to just ride my bike (sorry Coach!).

95 miles later, I arrived at home very tired and very happy.  Have a great week doing the things you love :)!

3 comments:

Libby said...

Ahhh!!! Love it!! You are conquering that run! Progress is awesome congrats!

Ashley said...

Congrats on the awesome 10k! Did you bike home from Winchester?? Awesome.

Alyssa said...

That's awesome that you got the age group award, and you are super speedy! Good luck this weekend!

Post a Comment