| Pre-Race |
I think mass starts are awful. While some find it magical for thousands of people to start their Ironman journey with the boom of a single cannon, I prefer the time trial start of Ironman Louisville. Ironman Lake Placid is a very narrow course, so the start line was jam packed with everyone vying for the magical buoy line. I lined up right on it though, behind a larger male, so he could clear the water for me.
| Swim Start |
From the first few strokes, I was getting punched, kicked, dunked, etc. I've taken my fair share of blows over the years; however, this was the most violent swim experience of my entire life. I considered quitting, but decided that was ridiculous and continued swimming. After the first turnaround bouy, it thinned out and I hopped on some feet on the way back for lap one.
Mike Riley announced after lap one I was the first amateur and my split was faster than either of my half splits this year, so I knew I was in for a fast swim. Although I felt disorientated, I lunged forward for lap two and kept swimming strong and riding the feet in front of me. I could feel the current for lap two and before I knew it, we were rounding the turnaround buoy for home. I pushed as much as I could that last lap to stay on the guy's feet in front of me and was very happy when I reached shore.
T1 - 4:40
This transition is worth mentioning since I was a bit of a klutz. I stopped at a late wetsuit stripper to get my suit stripped and started running up the 400 yds of carpet to the transition. I remember thinking that I was afraid I was going to fall and unfortunately I did somehow slip a little later. I had a nice male stop and help me up and I kept running for transition and did my best to forget it. Since I was one of the first females in transition, I had four volunteers all to myself and was out quick.
Bike - 5:33.52
Coming out of transition, I could tell my bike legs were feeling good. My cadence was high, my heart rate was good and my power was right where it should be. I left town smiling reminding myself to be patient with the climb. I really like to climb so I enjoyed this first part out of town. I passed a few males, which always makes me smile, and before I knew it, I was at the descent I feared. Except it wasn't bad at all. I pretended the males in front of me were Chris and I was chasing him down Skyline. I was aggressive and made it down much faster than I had in any of my other times I had rode the course (top speed of 44mph for those considering this race). I hit mile 30 five minutes before I expected to and could tell I was setting myself up for a great ride.
Then I started noticing some weird back tightness. I sometimes have pain in my sciatic when I ride, but this was different. It was like my whole low back was spasming and it was running up my spine. I tried to stretch / ignore it, but it wouldn't go away. I thought maybe it would feel better once I got to sit up during some of the climbs from Jay to Wilimington. Nope. Well, I don't believe it quitting things so I kept riding and prayed it would loosen out or I wouldn't notice it when I hit the run.
Unlike most, I was happy to hit the climb from Wilmington to Placid. I like steady climbs and enjoyed passing males the entire way back to town. Didn't think much of the three bears on lap one (thank you Skyline Drive) and enjoyed all the cheers I was getting. The highlight was definitely rounding around the school for lap one and seeing my parents and Chris going wild as Mike Reilly was announcing I was the first amateur female. SWEET.
| End of Lap One |
T2 - 2:33
I walked for much of T2 in hopes that my back would loosen. It was awesome to see a friend's sister, and once again, I was treated like a queen in the tent since I was the only person there.
Run - 3:56.44
I ran out of transition and my legs felt fresh. Like really fresh. This never happens. But my back hurt and as soon as I hit the first hill, I knew I was in trouble. There was no way I could run up. So I stopped and tried to touch my toes. I could barely bend over. Crap. I walked a bit, tried to stretch, but nothing was helping. Did my best to start running again, but things were not going well. I made the turn down River Road and was wondering what I should do. I didn't want to injure myself and hurt my chances to do well at Kona, but I also didn't want to give up my shot to be first. I had worked so hard all year for this and had already endured a lot of pain.
Luckily, a nice camera man started cheering for me and got me running. My stride was off, but I was able to run and run fairly strong. I made it to the turnaround at mile six and could see how I was doing in the amateur race for the first time all day. When I realized how far ahead I was, I told myself I had 18 miles of pain to go. I thought about anything I could to distract me.
| Ready for Lap Two - Heel striking galore! |
I hit the turaround feeling pretty good. I knew as long as I kept the paces under 10, I'd stay in first and made that my mission for lap two. Things felt pretty good until around mile 18 and then the fatigue hit quick. I focused on one mile at a time and did my best to break things up. When I made the final turn off River Road, I knew I would have to walk up pretty much all of the hills. My left achilles was now also acting up.
Miles 21-24 were a bit of a death march. I did my best to shuffle, walk, etc, but once I hit 24, I knew I was almost there. I took my last water at 24 and clenched that cup in my right hand for the rest of the race. Chris ran on the side of the road from me for much of mile 25 and even though I wanted to kill him at the time for yelling at me to run, I kept running.
And suddenly, I was back at the Olympic Speed skating oval. I ran through the gate for finishers and started running around the track. Finally I saw the clock, I heard Mike Reilley yelling; the crowd was screaming, and I was D.O.N.E. in 10:32.05.
| Finish Line |
Ironman is truly a journey. Race day is the climax of months and months of sacrifice and hard work. It's a very selfish endeavor. So to my family and Chris who have been there for the good and bad, thank you. My awesome coach from Carmichael Trainig Systems, Lindsay Hyman, I can't thank you enough for helping me achieve what I thought were very unrealistic dreams. To Powerbar, Cyclelops, and Swim H20 Audio, thanks for your support.
| Women's 25-29 Podium |
| TYR Swim Prime! Thanks Haley for not doing the race :) |
!doctype>



9 comments:
Way to endure through tough physical pain in the bike and run! And that is so exciting to be first amateur. I was cheering the whole day for you from my computer! Another friends blog on the race talked about how tough the swim area was also- I could never do a tri for free of being kicked! Congrats, recover well and here is to another great race at kona!
Katie, you absolutely RULE! Way to go.
Way to NAIL that race Katie!! See you in Kona:)
Way to go! You are absolutely amazing and I am so impressed with both your physical and mental toughness. Recover well...I hope your back is feeling better!
CONGRATULATIONS!!
Hhaha - the last part made me laugh! And I think you definitely earned that swim prize! Congrats again!!
You are NAILS. I had so much fun stalking you, I felt like I knew a rock star. Every time a split came through...first first first! You're amazing.
I aw SO excited to read this Katie! You are incredible! I am so impressed by the dedication you have to your sport - it has been so neat to see how you've improved in such a short time! Next question...when are you going pro?! :)
Katie! OK, I admit...I stalked you like a creepy dude. I saw you on the run and wanted to cheer for you, but I thought that might scare you (who is she!?!?!). Then, by the time I was sure it was you, I was too tired to yell across the road :) But I thought, "Holy crap, we have the entire same year mapped out!" Congrats on a fantastic race, and great, great luck in Kona! You will do awesome - I'll be tracking you all day!
Yes!!! I totally love this race report and I am so freaking proud of you!! I know how hard you've worked to get here and what a way to win first amateur- wire to wire!!! I hope you are recovering well and I can't wait for you to kill it in Kona!!!
Post a Comment