Monday, September 26, 2011

Time to Simplify

I learned an important lesson this weekend, unfortunately it will take some time before I can put my PLAN into action. Over the summer, I was still in my "I can do it all" attitude so I agreed to take on secretary of my rotary club and be an adjunct professor for a graduate school class. Being a professor was a life-time dream of mine, and the pay was good, so I couldn't help but say yes.  Until yesterday morning when the stress of everything I had to do finally got to me.  So while most of the people I follow on twitter that are doing Ironman Hawaii were out on their bikes for long days, I was cleaning, doing Rotary minutes, lesson planning, etc.  In the end, all was completed including my training at 7:45 pm BUT I know that if I want to compete with the top amateurs, I need to have more time available to train, recover, etc.

I should say I absolutely love teaching this course AND my grad school trip to China in July of 2008 is the reason I got my first road bike. It's still funny for me to think that I took out of my graduate school autobiography that I completed Ironman Hawaii because I thought that sounded ridiculous.

I leave Saturday for Ironman Hawaii take two.  Last year I was a nervous wreck and while I was fully capable of having a great race, I let the nerves get to me and walked a LOT of the marathon.  This year training has been much stronger (as demonstrated by the 28 minute Ironman Lou PR), so I know I'm ready and I need to stop worrying that I train less than 20 hours per week.

I haven't established my mini goals for Ironman Hawaii's legs yet, but I since I didn't hit my post-it note goal time at Ironman Lou or any of the mini goals there, I may just use those again.

6 days to go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment