I've had a pretty awesome last week and I am feeling fit, fresh and happy that I have somewhat maintained a balanced lifestyle in the midst of Kona training. And unlike years past, I have not had ONE breakdown this entire training cycle.
Saturday morning was my last long run and I'll be honest, I felt like crap that morning. Absolute crap. I had the awesome idea a few weeks ago to ask Lindsay if we could extend the scheduled time of 2:30. I felt like mentally I needed to run 20 before Kona. Grumpily I started out a little before 8 am (late for me), but the miles ticked by fairly quickly and I had the most successful long run I've ever had and a huge confidence booster.
Later that day, Chris and I headed to the park for Apple Cross setup. While I was tempted to enter the CX race (HAH!), I watched everyone preride the course and enjoyed catching up with friends. It was great to see everyone and even more fun to go out for drinks and dinner that night (I am seriously the world's worst picture taker)! Kenny made a humorous toast that I will definitely draw strength from! :)
On Sunday I went to a winery. Fun! Since my typical Sunday involves riding my bike for hours on end, this was a very nice change of pace and a great way to start my taper. While there was some mention of Ironman, that conversation was limited.
This week has been filled with work, picking up a few last minute things I needed and getting some pretty awesome emails, pictures, etc. wishing me good luck. Lindsay sent me the plan last night and unlike Placid where I completely freaked out, this time around I felt completely comfortable and think it's totally doable.
I'm feeling very grateful to have the opportunity to go to Kona next week, compete with the best in the world and hopefully in the process, push myself to new limits. But regardless of whatever happens next Saturday for me, the sun will still set and nothing in my life will change.
![]() |
| Finish - 2011 |
!doctype>




5 comments:
So exciting!! Wishing you lots of luck! You've put in a great training cycle...you'll do great. Have a fantastic time!!
This will be another successful year at Kona. But, of course much more than the others. Each year brings better times. You deserve the best. I can't wait to see the results.
Great attitude going into Kona! Have a wonderful time and enjoy some much needed recovery post-race!!
I LOVE this post. your head is in such a great place (and I know your body is too!) I will be cheering hard from florida- I'm with you every step of the way girl! go have fun in that amazing place and put all the hard work to the road with a smile and all will be better than great. I know it :)
button! I hope you are having suuuchhhh a good time!! xo
Post a Comment