Monday, October 22, 2012

Ironman Hawaii 2012

This is the third time I've been fortunate enough to race on the Big Island; however, I feel like this is the first time I've finally been able to enjoy myself and feel like I belonged at the race. Leading up to the race, I was calm and ready to go. I knew I had done everything I could in training, so I didn't worry about all the little things I couldn't control. As long as I went out and gave it my all on October 13th, I didn't care what the outcome was.

Pre-race went smoothly and before I knew it, I was getting in the water with Adam Otstot (go Tribe!). I was a little concerned when the Ford vehicle wasn't in the water to line up at, but I made a point of going fairly far left and lined myself up behind a male wearing Sweedish goggles. I got fairly cold while I was waiting, but remembered this was the only time I'd be shivering all day so I embraced it.


Ready for Battle

Swim - 57:54

The cannon wasn't working this year, so they yelled go and we were off. The first 200 meters were mayhem, as expected, so I forced myself to keep my head down and keep swimming regardless of how many blows I took (quite a few). I got on the feet of a fairly large male and concentrated on breathing every other stroke. Unfortunately he took us a bit wide, but it was better than the brawl on the buoy line. I only saw one other pink cap, so I figured the pace was fine and just kept swimming. I felt strong the entire way, but started getting really disoriented with about 1,000 meters to go. I picked up the pace and passed almost everyone in the group I was in and was thrilled to reach the stairs. I broke my cardinal rule of looking at the time and was ticked to see I swam slower than last year.

I was pretty disorientated going through T1, so I felt like I was taking forever. I made sure to thank the volunteers as they put layers of sunblock on me, and ran out of the changing tents only to get plowed into by a male running full steam from the males' changing tent.  Seriously, you're not going to make up much time running 10 mph in T1, so really folks, unless your Andy Potts, be polite and at least get past the changing tents before you start running hard.

Bike - 5:24:18

Ummm, apparently I thought I should stand & rest before mounting my bike ???
I actually remembered to put my bike into my little gear, so I took it easy coming out of T1. The first thirty miles of the course flew by, I was continually getting passed by a stream of men and started getting very concerned I was riding poorly. Then I realized my average watts were right at my target range, so I told myself to ride within myself and started ignoring what was going around around me. We hit crosswinds around mile 75 of the Queen K, so I knew we were in for it. I made sure to get ahead of my nutrition before I hit the road up to Hawi figuring the crosswinds would be similar to 2010 where I was getting blown across the road. While the wind was strong, I stayed in my aero bars and hardly got blown around at all. The difference from 2010 was simple, I was riding faster and had a much higher power output. Weight really isn't as big of a factor as I once thought, especially considering how much weight I've lost since then.


I saw Haley Chura at the turnaround, so I knew I was having a good ride. I mentally prepared myself for the way down Hawi, but I hit 45 mph and really only got blown across the road twice. I'd do Hawi any day over Skyline. Once we made the left after the road down from Hawi, the headwind was back and I'm really not so sure when it went away. I have rode countless rides this year where I had a headwind for the last two hours, so I ignored it and while it was surely frustrating to be downshifting in some instances while going DOWNHILL, I didn't worry about it. The coolest thing of the entire day was when the TV cameras came by and taped me for a bit. I like riding near the front of the amateur pack :)



Last year I was very unhappy by mile 90, but this year was an entirely different story. I felt strong and in control and passed quite a few males at the end.  I was at the low end of my ranges, so I was excited to see if this was the day I would finally run the Ironman marathon.



Run - 3:57:08

T2 was uneventful (thank goodness!) and I was in and out before I knew it. I didn't have the back pain of Placid and while I didn't feel good starting out, I didn't feel horrible. I met Shawn around mile 1 and stayed running with him until almost mile 8. That was awesome.

My parents were stationed at roughly miles 9.5 and 10 on the course and I was very happy to see them both. I felt good when I saw my mom, but by the time I saw my dad at mile 10, I knew something wasn't quite right. I was starting to get the chills and my face felt so hot. I realized soon after I was badly burned on my face. I had had signs of heat problems at Eagleman and was able to manage it, so I attempted to do the same thing here with fluids and ice. Unfortunately around mile 13, my luck ran out and my stomach started turning south quick. I've been having problems with acid reflux since August, so I'm not sure if it was that, the sunburn or simply my body revolting after 13 miles of running. The last 13 miles were my typical Ironman death march and while it was discouraging to go from 4th to 8th in the 25-29 AG over those last miles, I did not give up like I would have typically done and kept the walking to the minimum.  I still ran my second fastest Ironman marathon ever and it was the first time I ran the first 13 without walking. I will certainly take an Ironman PR on a hard day and know that the best is still to come.



Final time - 10:25:28

As always, thanks to my family and friends for supporting me.  Thanks to Lindsay for developing me as an athlete and always being there when I need to talk. I can't thank my office mates enough for the office decorations and cake upon my return. Thanks to Powerbar for the nutrition products to keep me fueled,  H20 Audio for keeping me entertained in the pool and Cyclelops for helping me be the best rider I can be.

6 comments:

Kenneth M said...

Inspiration to us all!

Ashley said...

Congratulations, Katie!! Fantastic job! :) It sounds like a tough last couple of hours, but as always, I'm impressed with your mental game. You rock!

Victoria said...

That is so cool that they had the cameras on you! Way to keep at it during a tough run, very inspirational.

Matias said...

You're just the type of athlete we're looking for. Great race report and blog and way to kick butt at KONA! If you're interested, fill this out. We're currently accepting applications for the 2013 Snapple Triathlon Team.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhldEhoNUliNW5TZXYyU003UG9UUFE6MQ

KT with daisies said...

Awesome job on another Kona! It is so inspiring to see how far you have come since your first triathlon! You help me believe that anyone can accomplish their dreams if they are willing to put in the hard work and dedication. Congratulations on another great Ironman!

Libby said...

I am so proud of you girl. A PR on a very hard day in kona is a remarkable accomplishment- don't you forget that. you hit it so right when you were writing about lindsey- she is developing you as an athlete and while we all know you have not raced to your potential yet, its an amazing and scary thing to know that 10:25 on a very hard day in kona is not your potential just yet. congrats on overcoming so much in your ironman distance races this year, so many lessons learned that will pay off on that one perfect day when it all falls in line.

Post a Comment