Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tri-Mania

This past weekend, Chris and I headed out to Bethesda for the Tri-Mania Summit and Expo. I was very excited to meet members of the Snapple National Team, Snapple DC Tri Team and Snapple Club, but a bit nervous for the Team Challenge. I was LUCKILY only participating in the swim and bike, but I was two weeks into a heavy block of training and I wasn't sure if my legs would show up.

For those not familiar with the event, it's an all day expo with a Team Challenge held throughout the day.  The run is done on the Georgetown Prep Cross Country course, the swim is in the Prep pool (and a rather nice pool!) and the bike was done in the same room where the expo was held. Adam gave a great recap of how the day went down, so I thought I would list my top four things from the day since Snapple's teams were 1st and 4th overall.

4.  Good Fitness Check - I'm rather competitive, so nothing gets me more excited than diving off the start blocks or lining up next to some people on the bike. I swim alone so when Matias emailed asking if I could swim 3:15, I laughed, but I came pretty darn close according to the time when I got out (3:18).  The bike was just plain awesome. I made sure to position myself on the end, then it was Lucas, Adam and Matias. I do intervals literally every week (thank you CTS), so I just zoned out, stared at my Quarq and drew strength from my other teammates looking to be in as much pain as I was. After not quite 17 minutes, I was done with a new power PR. I will probably be very unhappy when Lindsay updates my power zones, but for now, I'm just happy that my training is going as well as it is.

The bike setup
3. Remembering how to Suffer - Training alone can be good or bad. The good is I almost always do what's scheduled (sorry Coach), but the bad is I almost never get into situations where I get outside of my comfort zone. Short time trials are a big sufferfest in my book, especially on the bike, so it was a great opportunity to get out of my comfort zone and test myself. Not surprisingly, I did better than I thought, and I've already been able to carry this forward into my workouts this week.

Suffering - love the Louis Garneau Kits!
2.  Good Support  - Triathlons are an expensive hobby and it was absolutely incredible on Saturday night to have Bart, the team manager, give Adam and I our gear. I knew what we were getting and I understand the marketing implications for the sponsors, but I am still amazed by the amount these companies have invested in us. I can't wait to test out all the gear once the snow melts.

AMAZING - thank you Rudy Project, Louis Garneau, Mizuno USA, Snapple, Vita Coco
1.  Good Friendships - I knew some of my teammates prior, but it was a great opener to have dinner on Saturday night and then spend Sunday at an event like the Expo. With plenty of down time, I really got to know some of my teammates and it'll be fun to race alongside with them all year long.  Across the board, there are some very talented members on the Snapple National Team, DC Snapple Tri Team and Snapple Club, so I am really excited to see what this year holds for everyone.

Before the swim

Next up is the Charlottesville Half Marathon and my not so secret goal is to break 1:30 (PR 1:34).  That will take some suffering, some heart and some good ol' fashion luck!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Being on a team is so much fun! :) Good luck at your half marathon. Sub 1:30 or bust!

Victoria said...

3:18! That's amazing. Have a great 13.1 next month, can't wait to see you crush all your goals.

Post a Comment