The short, my goal was met, I had FUN the entire time. I dropped 36 minutes off of last year's Kona time to go 10:33 and be 8th in my 25-29 AG.
Pre-race was uneventful. I got through the necessary things quickly and chilled with my parents in the pool area of the King K. Evidentially that is a popular spot because I saw Chris Lieto, Chrissie and Tom Lowe! I lined up on the pier early, so I was able to get in right after the pros started. The next thirty minutes were nerve-wracking, but I was luckily next to some awesome friends and managed to stay fairly calm. Before I knew it, the cannon went off and it was time for the brawl!
![]() |
| Swim start |
Swim (57:31)
I lined up to the left of the Ford vehicle since this was only my second mass start for triathlons, and I wanted to avoid the chaos. I was able to get right on some feet and kept a nice steady rhythm. I had men surrounding me, so when I got elbowed in the eye early on, I had no choice but to keep swimming. I managed to take in multiple mouthfuls of salt water (maybe this is why I didn't cramp?),and before I knew it, we were nearing the turnaround buoy. I didn't sight once on the way out, so the time went pretty quickly and I didn't see any pink caps so I figured I was ok.
After the turnaround, it got a bit more violent for me and I got nailed in the nosepiece. That finally stopped me for a second to catch my breath, luckily I was in a big enough pack that I just hopped on some different feet. This guy didn't kick so hard, so I just enjoyed myself and kept thinking that this was the only time I'd be cool all day. As we neared the dock, I picked it up slightly and made sure not to stand up until my hand hit the sand. Wasn't too disorientated for once and was pleased to see a 57 since it felt pretty easy.
Bike (5:19.37)
I focused on keeping a controlled effort for the first part around town. I knew I would have plenty of time to get comfortable on my bike and the first five miles would not make or break my race. I took a swig of gel (only time I liked it all day!) and started thinking how amazing it was to be doing Kona again. I felt like the entire field was passing me and was concerned I was going slow. I had no idea how fast I was going since I only keep my heart rate and power up, but I felt good and figured I would just go with the flow.
Out on the Queen K, I finally realized at about mile 15 that I was going 21mph+. Since my original math calculation was closer to 19 (and I have my CPA?), I was very RELIEVED. I felt good, so I just stuck to the plan of drinking every five, having a bite of powerbar every 30 and staying relaxed. I got a bit frustrated with the amount of drafting going on, but I did my best to stay legal and just thought about my friends and family.
Once we made the turn up to Hawi, I was surprised how I started passing back all the men that passed me initially. I got a good laugh over a ref making fun of my "small bike," and just kept pushing. The winds really didn't scare me at all this year and the climb itself is far easier than climbing up Skyline. Before I knew it, I was turning to come down and was excited to see my old coach, Mike Durner. I HATE descending, but I didn't hit the brakes once. Before I knew it, I was back in the headwinds. FUN.
I started getting really hot, so I made the wise decision to put the rest of my IM Perform into my A2, so I could use my other holder for water. I got two bottles at every rest stop, one to pour all over me and one to top off my A2. I never really got cranky and tired of riding like I did at Louisville, but the bottoms of my feet were on fire again. The miles back on the Queen K were slowly ticking by and I was oh so happy to see the airport and know I was nearly back to transition. At this point, I relaxed the pace a bit to ensure I was topped off nutritionally and made sure I was staying legal. I knew my bike split would be a good sized PR. Saw my parents as I was coming down Palini, so I smiled and gave the catcher my bike. 15 minutes faster than last year and sub 5:20 :)
Run (4:09.14)
After another slow transition (it was hot!), I was out running and for once, my legs felt fresh. My legs never feel fresh after riding my bike, so maybe moving my seat forward was a good call?! I started feeling pain in my right ankle and realized the safety pins were digging into my skin. I was already getting super hot, so I stopped to fix the ankle strap and walked up the first hill on Ali'i Drive. Nooooo, I was not going to walk so much this year. So I started running and surprisingly enough, once I started running, I was fine. Pace was in the mid-8:30s, heart rate was in the right zone and I felt good.
After the turnaround on Ali'i, I got the first look at where my other competitors in the 25-29 AG were. I realized then that placing top 5 probably wasn't in the cards, but I kept reminding myself of all the 4:30a wakeups and I kept running along. I couldn't do my hot gel, but I started taking Ironman Perform at every aide station. I knew this had worked at Ironman Louisville in 2010 (96 degree day), so I wasn't too concerned.
In front of Lava Java, I saw my parents. I smiled and waved, none of my normal looking like I was going to cry crap. Running is so mental for me. I didn't even attempt running up Palini (hopefully I get another shot next year!), but started running again as soon as I hit the Queen K. Those next few miles seemed to take forever. I kept reminding myself the first part of the Natural Energy Lab was downhill, so I just had to make it to that point.
I felt good entering the Natural Energy Lab and cheered on some friends as I headed to the turnaround. I felt good as I was heading back, then wham, I bonked BADLY and had to walk up the hill coming out of the Lab. This is where I mentally lost my focus and started talking to Wade. I left Wade at 22 and focused on putting one foot in front of another.
The last part down the Queen K I tried to stay strong and run. I was so happy to run down Palini, but made sure not to start sprinting like I did last year. I knew Kuakini would last forever, which it did, but I didn't get passed by anyone in my AG like I did last year. I was so glad to see Ali'i Drive. I passed Mike Orton cheering on Ali'i Drive, then realized there was someone in my AG right in front of me. NOOOOO, I dug and started sprinting as hard as I could. I caught her right before the flags, so I had to sprint all the way in just missing another person in my AG.
In the end, I dropped 36 minutes off my time from last year and improved in all 3 sports. Running is still my weakness, but I only dropped 6 places this year compared to 20 last year. I believed I was capable of running 3:50 off the bike this year and I still haven't run a sub 4 hour marathon, but I know these things take time. I'm excited to keep working with Lindsay and see where it takes me.
!doctype>







0 comments:
Post a Comment