Sunday, October 23, 2011

Saturday Long Rides

I grew up staring at the black line, so when it turns cold in Winchester, I turn to my trainer.  I DO not like the cold. I can listen to music, have a nice buffet of awesome Powerbar treats and stay toasty warm. But, Ironman Lake Placid is NOT flat and most likely won't be hot like Ironman Louisville, so riding a trainer all winter long is not going to help me as much as getting outside on the weekends! Time to work on my limiters! Chris and I headed out to the Shenandoah National Park entrance in Front Royal yesterday.
Mile 20
I'm really spoiled to have this ride so close to my house.  48 miles round trip nets 5600 ft of climbing.  The first 6 miles are straight uphill, Chris reminded me really quick yesterday that he's a much stronger rider than I am. He luckily stopped to adjust his seat post and I told him not to wait for me, which made it a bit more pleasant for me :)  I could enjoy beautiful fall scenery like this -

False Flat Here :)
We're going to make this a weekly Saturday morning adventure as long as we can, so hopefully I toughen up a bit. And since we're inviting the other guys we ride with, I can guarantee I'll be getting a good workout in! Off season has been WONDERFUL so far; had lunch with one of my best friends from college, spent the afternoon with my parents at a winery, spent lots of time with Chris and have even caught up with school.  Sad thing is, I'm getting restless. Guess it's good I do Ironmans and apparently next month is a Run Focus month.  Uh oh!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Looks like a beautiful place to ride!! :-)

Katie said...

I absolutely love riding at Skyline! So much fun, and so much time to look around while climbing. :)

Post a Comment