Sunday, February 5, 2012

I've been Retul-ed!

Looking at my ironman times, it's pretty obvious my strengths are the swim and the bike.  While I love to bike, I've so far been very uncomfortable during the later stages of the Ironman bike courses, which clearly doesn't set me up for a solid run.  To ensure it's not physical fatigue, Lindsay is changing it up this year and we're doing more bike miles. LOTS MORE.  I also knew I needed to get a proper bike fit. 
IM Lou 2011 - 1st amateur bike split - just slightly stretched out!
I've been talking about getting a proper bike fit since Kona when the awesome guys at Quintanoo Roo made some pre-race adjustments that immediately improved my comfort level, but nearly three months past and I still hadn't made an appointment.  And it wasn't like I was even somewhat comfortable on my TT bike, I spent 85% of my rides out of my bars on my trainer.  Then my amazing parents got me a bike fit for Christmas.  YAY, I had no more excuses :)  Or so I thought until I started looking for places in Virginia that did Retul and were willing to do it on the weekend.  Things were not looking good until Adam at the The Bike Lane was willing to have me come in.

I was super excited about this appointment and it did not disappoint.  It was a nearly 2.5 hour process of measuring, assessing my current issues and making adjustments. I immediately felt better once he cut 4 cm off the bar extenders, but they still aren't perfect so we're looking at new aero bars (this makes set number 3!) and I'm trying out a different ISM. We made some other minor adjustments - cleat placement and seat height - and I'm really excited to see the differences out on the road. Adam spent a lot of time making sure I was comfortable and answering questions, so I really felt like I got a whole lot more out of the experience then what I paid for.

Overall, this was an awesome process.  I've done five trainer rides since including a three hour trainer ride that flew by, so I think we are heading in the right direction!  I'm really excited to go back and work with Adam again so we can fine tune things, and of course, get my road bike fitted.

3 comments:

Katie said...

you know, i've been hemming and hawing about getting retuled, and the bike lane is one of the places that i'm looking at. i'm so cranky about spending the money but wow, you might have convinced me!

Gabroe said...

So how are you feeling about it now that the season is over? I just completed my first IM and even though I didnt feel bad at all getting out of the bike I've been thinking about getting a better fit than the one I had when I purchased the bike, do you still recommend it? Thanks a lot!

Katie said...

I definitely think getting a bike fit is worth it. However, my position was AWFUL prior to my bike fit, so I was very uncomfortable.

Post a Comment